We are pleased to annouce the launch of our New Website Design!
In the name of Allah, The Most Gracious and The Most Merciful
Basics about ISLAM
Allah, the Creator:
He is Allah, besides him there is no god, the All-Knower of the unseen and the seen. He is the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.
He is Allah, besides him there is no god, the King, the Holy, the One Free from all defects, the Giver of security, the Watcher over His creatures, the All-Mighty, the Compeller, the Supreme. Glory be to Allah! (High is He) above all that they associate as partners with Him.
He is Allah, the Creator, the Inventor of all things, the Bestower of forms. To Him belong the Best Names. All that is in the heavens and the earth glorify Him. And He is the All-Mighty, the All-Wise.
[The Holy Quran, 59: 22-24]
Need for religion:
• The remembrance of the Creator is the soul of the universe.
• A true religion corrects a person’s relationship with the Creator and the rest of the creation.
• A true religion provides a manual of human life and a role-model to achieve success in this world and in the everlasting life Hereafter.
(Note: The origin of the Monotheistic religions is the same - belief in one Creator).
Articles of Faith in Islam:
Belief in Allah (God Almighty), His Angels, His Books, His Prophets, the Day of Judgment, and in fate or destiny, whether good or bad, is from Allah, and in the resurrection after death.
Sources of Islamic Teachings:
1. The Holy Qur’an: Arabic speech of God, revealed to Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him, SAW*) in words and in meaning, and preserved in written form. Hundreds of thousands of people, including small children and non-Arabs, have memorized this book from cover to cover. Not a single word or letter in the Quran has been changed in last 14 centuries!
2. Actions, sayings, and approvals of the Prophet Muhammad (SAW*), role-model for every walk of life.
Prophets in Islam:
Islam teaches us to believe in all the Prophets and Messengers. The Quran is filled with stories of prophets.
• Adam (Peace be upon him), the first man/ prophet – God created him without a father or mother
• Abraham (Peace be upon him), who built the house of worship in Mecca. Muslims face the direction of Mecca for all prayers.
• Moses & Aaron (Peace Be Upon them) were sent to free their nation from Pharaoh;
• Mary (Peace Be Upon her), the most chaste woman ever created;
• Jesus (Peace be upon him), Jesus is one of the greatest prophets;
• Muhammad (Peace be upon him, SAW*), the final messenger who was sent as a mercy to the world;
The Quran teaches us that all the messengers taught their people to submit to the Will of God, to worship one God and to prepare for the life in the Hereafter. All these messengers came with the same message.
• Moses (Peace be upon him) in Islam:
The Quran teaches us a great deal of the events related to Moses (peace be upon him).
The majority of chapters in the Quran have references on the stories of Prophet Moses and his people.
· Jesus (Peace be upon him) in Islam:
The Quran teaches us that:
– Jesus (peace be upon him) is one of the greatest prophets
– He performed numerous miracles:
• He cured the blind with the Will of God.
• He raised the dead with the Will of God.
• He cured the leper with the Will of God.
Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him, SAW*):
The Last in the chain of Divine Messengers of God (ALLAH), he gave to mankind the universal message of love and respect for all Divine Messengers. He could not read, write or even sign his name, yet he gave to mankind the most unique gift, the Quran; a complete code of life and a living miracle across all spaces and times.
He was born an orphan, lived a very modest life, never had much worldly means, yet by the power of his character and conduct he changed the face of earth and the history of mankind. He lived such a pure and transparent life that even his harshest critics could not yet find a spot of his character and conduct.
He was the living embodiment of the Final Divine Revelation of God, the Quran.
Say (O Muhammad SAW*): "O mankind! Verily, I am sent to you all as the Messenger of Allah”
[The Holy Quran, 7:158]
Basic Duties (Five Pillars of Islam):
1. Imaan : To firmly believe in the heart and declare one’s faith: There is no one worthy of worship except Allah, and Muhammad (Sallallaho 'Alaihi- Wa Sallam) is the Messenger of Allah.
2. Salat: To pray five times a day
3. Zakat: Giving charity if financially capable
4. Saum: Fasting in the month of Ramadan
5. Hajj: Pilgrimage to Makkah once in a lifetime if one is physically able and can afford it
A person who accepts Islam is called a Muslim. It means 'one who surrenders’. A Muslim is required to do all that Allah (God Almighty) and His Messenger (Peace be upon him, SAW*) have made mandatory, and to keep from doing things which Allah and His Messenger (peace be upon him) have forbidden.
Islam as a Way of Life:
• Muslims believe that humans were created for the purpose of worshiping the Creator (God Almighty)
• A Muslim remembers his Creator (Allah) at every step in his daily life -- while sleeping, waking up, eating, leaving/ entering home, driving -- at every moment whether happy or sad.
• “Worship” for Muslims entails not only prayer and fasting, but every permissible act that we do with the intention to please Allah (God Almighty):
– Working to provide shelter and food for our family
– Even a simple smile to someone!
Call to Humanity:
“O mankind! Worship your Lord (Allah), Who created you and those who were before you so that you may become God-fearing.” [2:21]
“This is the Book (the Quran), whereof there is no doubt, a guidance for the God-fearing.” [2:2]
“O mankind! We have created you from a male* and a female, and made you into races and tribes, that you may identify one another. Surely, the noblest of you, in Allah’s sight is the one who is most pious of you. Surely, Allah is All-Knowing, All-Aware.” [49:13]
*We are all decedents of Adam (peace be upon him), who was the creation of God.
Prophets’ mission declared in the Holy Qur’an
Message for Prophet Adam (Peace be upon him) [20: 123-126]
Message of Prophet Noah (Peace be upon him) [71: 10-13]
Message of Prophet Abraham (Peace be upon him): [26: 78-89]
Message of Prophet Joseph (Peace be upon him): [12: 39-40]
Message of Prophet Moses (Peace be upon him): [26: 24-26]
Message of Prophet Jesus (Peace be upon him): [19:30-36]
Message of Prophet Mohammad (Peace be upon him): [7:158]
Our goal is educate people to produce better Muslims, law abiding responsible citizens with high morals and characters living peacefully in the society as community members having strong faith, performing good deeds, and have a sense of accountability to Almighty Allah.
*SAW = Sallallaho 'Alaihi-WaSallam